Sunday, April 8, 2007

New noises


I took my recorder back home for the long easter break because I wanted to tape down his various utterances. Not having a video camera that has sound, this was probably the best option (we have an old digital camera with limited video recording). So i recorded sounds of him crying and me trying to pacify him, and also sounds of him and me playing (largely me making funny faces, sticking my tongue out at him, and rubbing his cheeks while he laughed at me.)
Then I tried an interesting experiment on a particularly grouchy moment he had. I played back his noises for him to hear. He became intrigued by the sound of him crying and stopped crying. It was almost mesmerizing, and of course the sounds of my trying to pacify him seems to sooth him a bit. Then get this, he started laughing and smiling at the recorder when it played back sounds of me laughing. :)
However it seems the recorder and noise has to be close to him for this to work. When I played those noises through my computer speakers, he seemed to ignore them as noises.
Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment